Plaqued Houses and Buildings
Address:
111 Bath Street - G. K. Chisholm House
Summary:
The house was built in 1850, by George King Chisholm.


Property Details:
George King Chisholm (1815-1874) was the son of William Chisholm (1788-1842) and his wife Rebecca Silverthorn (1795-1865) and the husband of Isabella Chisholm (nee Land) (1820-1894).

George attended the Gore District Grammar School at Hamilton and Upper Canada College. He assisted in the post office after College.

George was appointed the Sergeant-At-Arms in the Parliament of the Province of Canada. He bought land in the south half of 3rd concession with Rebecca Street as the south border and became partners with his brother at their father's mill.

He owned and built a house on the corner of Robinson Street and Navy Street in 1848 and built another house that he called "The Retreat" on the end of Forsyth Street at The Sixteen.

On February 3, 1855 he was named a trustee of the Halton County Grammar School along with Reverend Thomas Greene, James Arnott, William Cantley and Reverend Robert Shanklin, and later became chairman of Board of Education. As well, George formed the Oakville Agricultural Association in 1852.

George suffered a stroke on April 13, 1874. He was taken to his brothers house, (R. K. Chisholm), and died the next day without regaining consciousness.

He is buried in the family plot in the Oakville Cemetery.
Click to Enlarge
Bath Steet #111Bath Steet #111