Plaqued Houses and Buildings
Address:
126 Bath Street - William Cantley and Percy Bath Home
Summary:
Two owners are featured on the plaque for 126 Bath Street
Property Details:
The land this house stands on was known as Park Lots A and B. Such lots ran north from the lake up to Bond Street and from Kerr Street to St. Jude's Cemetery. The first house on this property was occupied by Reverend Robert Murray and his wife as early as 1837. Later is served as the rectory for the Presbyterian Church minister, Matthew Lyon. This early dwelling has been replaced by the house that we see now.

In March 1847 William Cantley, a retired banker, purchased this property and built a one storey brick home for himself, his wife and Daniel Owens, a servant man. It is not precisely known when the second storey was added, although there is some indication that the home was expanded in 1856.

Cantley was born in 1791 in New Deer, Aberdeenshire, Scotland and his wife, Christian Ord, was born in 1790 in the parish of Pitsligo. In March of 1872 Christian died and within four months, the now 81-year-old William married Mrs. Mary Cantley. That married ended three years later with the death of William. Mary Cantley remarried and lived in the house until it was sold in 1905 to Percy A. Bath.

Percy Bath was an accountant and official with the brokerage house of Pellatt and Pellatt, the brokerage firm of Sir Henry Pellatt of Casa Loma fame. The Percy and Ruth Bath raised their four children in their new home, which they named, "Belair Farm." Bath had a series of poultry houses to the west where he raised chickens and Garneaux pigeons, a large Belgian pidgeon. They also had a barn called "Belair Jam Factory," to market the large amount of fruit produced on his property. Percy was also a partner in the Oakville Garage.

There were also many social involvements. Percy was a member of the St. Jude's Advisory Board; auditor of the Trafalgar Agricultural Society; president of the Boy Scout Council; first president of the Oakville Club; and Clerk Treasurer of the Town of Oakville.

After Ruth Bath passed away in 1928, the home passed to her daughter, Margaret and in 1949 it was sold again and passed out of the Bath family.

The history of this home was drawn from "Old Oakville" by David and Suzanne Peacock, a copy of which can be purchased at the Oakville Historical Society.

Click to Enlarge
126 Bath Street126 Bath Street