Plaqued Houses and Buildings
Address:
296 William Street - Bedlington House
Summary:
The home of Lindsie and Winnifred Bedlington
Property Details:
This lot was initially owned by William Chisholm and had passed through several hands before being purchased in September of 1903 by William Sinclair Davis, a popular estate agent, who also wore many other hats in town. In 1906 he proceeded to build two handsome brick houses on the lot, which he leased to two separate families. The one on the east side of the lot (302 William St.) was leased to William H. Robinson, a local merchant, while the other at 296 William St. was leased to Lyndsie H. Bedlington, the first occupant of the house.

Lyndsie Bedlington was born in 1879 in Hamilton, Ontario. He married Winnifred Delamare in Toronto in 1902 moved to Oakville, eventually to live at 296 William St. where they had 4 children, Audrey, Lucy, Lindsay, and James.

The Bedlingtons only remained in the house for a few years before relocating a short distance to First St. They were, however, well known in town, involving themselves in the community. Lyndsie was a Commercial Traveller in the woolen industry and a member of the Oakville Lawn Bowling Club. Winnifred had studied piano and voice at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto and after moving to Oakville, sang soprano with St. Jude’s Anglican Church choir and helped produce children’s operas. She was also a volunteer with the Canadian Red Cross during both world wars.

Lyndsie died in 1934 and Winnifred continued to live in Oakville until her death 50 years later in 1984.
Click to Enlarge
296 William Street296 William Street