Plaqued Houses and Buildings
429 Inglehart St. S. - Joseph Cherrington and Edith Barnes Cherrington House
Joseph and Edith Cherrington were originally from Yorkshire, England.
Property Details:
Inglehart Street is part of the Inglehart Survey, which was initially laid out in 1909 and owned by Walter Inglehart. Several years ago Inglehart St was split into North and South and an access road for the north part was put through to Trafalgar Road. 429 Inglehart Street South is part of lots 35 and 36. Stanley Chamberlain initially purchased the property in 1923 with plans to build a house on it. Joseph Cherrington acquired the lot in 1924 and the house was finished in 1925. It was originally one storey.

Joseph Cherrington was born in Yorkshire, England in 1874. He married Edith Barnes in 1892 and they emigrated to Canada in 1905 with two children, Frank and Bessie, in tow. They settled in Oakville where they had two more children, Florence and Leonard, and rented premises on Reynolds St.

On January 12, 1916, at the age of 42, Joseph heeded the call and joined the 164th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, leaving behind his wife and four children. As was the case with most of the battalions of the CEF, the 164th was split up and used as reinforcements. The 164th is perpetuated by the Lorne Scots. He was transferred to the 256th Railway Battalion in February 1917. Due to health issues, Joseph Cherrington received a discharge from the CEF the following month, after having spent over a year serving his country.

Joseph was a carpenter by trade, and upon his return from war found that things were bustling with new subdivisions springing up in town. After renting for some time, the Cherrington family were finally able to purchase their own house on Inglehart Street South.

Of their four children, Elizabeth married and settled in Mississauga. Frank married Dorothy Myers of Oakville. Frank and Dorothy's son, Donald, was a veteran of The Second World War as well as the Oakville Fire Department from 1947 until his retirement in 1983. He built his house at 115 Wilson St. as well as the family cottage in Muskoka. Florence married Elmer Litchfield and they lived down the street from Florence's parents on Inglehart St. S.

The house on Inglehart remained in the family until 1965. Edith Cherrington died in 1964 and her husband Joseph in 1970.

Click to Enlarge
429 Inglehart Street South429 Inglehart Street South
429 Inglehart Street South Plaque429 Inglehart Street South Plaque
The home as a single story circa 1989The home as a single story circa 1989