Plaqued Houses and Buildings
330 Sumner Ave. - The Wm. Wilson & Margaret Miles & Jane Atkinson Wilson house
William Wilson was married first to Margaret Miles until her death in 1838. He married Jane Atlinson in 1847.
Property Details:
Since its founding in 1827 by Col. William Chisholm, Oakville had been well populated with ship's captains, builders, carpenters and artisans whose work was tied to the shipping of grain. Many of the finely crafted homes in Old Oakville can be attributed to these ships’ carpenters who made productive use of their time ashore. These homes were built for themselves as well as the local shipyard workers.

One such family of mariners were the Wilsons brothers Robert, William and George. They were the sons of John and Jenny Wilson of Belfast, Ireland, where John was a linen manufacturer. John died in 1815 and Jenny emigrated to Canada with her 10 children in 1817, settling in Perth. The three brothers eventually relocated to Oakville where the eldest, Robert, became First Master of the "Lady Colborne", the second schooner built in Oakville. He assisted the escape of slaves by stowing them away in the hold of his grain ship. His two brothers soon followed him in his career, eventually all becoming Lake Captains. William sailed as Master of the Cargo Schooner "Three Bells".

William married Margaret Miles sometime before 1838, but sadly she died in 1844. In 1847 William married Jane Atkinson. There was a total of four children: Robert, Thomas, George and Mary Jane.

In 1856, William Wilson purchased lots 1 and 2 of block 91 from William King Chisholm and by 1866 had built 328/330 Sumner Ave. The house, a Georgian Style frame plaster and lime two storey, is believed to have originally been one house and was initially situated on the southeast corner of Reynolds St. and Sumner Ave.

William Wilson held the property until his passing on the 12th of December 1873. His will outlines his extensive holdings in Oakville and beyond. The property, comprising lots 1 and 2 in block 91 was left to his son Thomas. In 1874 Thomas married Mary McAulay and by 1876 they had two children, William and George.

Perhaps to aid in supporting his growing family, in 1877, the Oakville Tax Assessment Roll reveals that the lot was subdivided into two portions. Thomas Wilson leased one portion to William Lackie, while keeping the other portion for himself and his family. It is believed that this is when the house was divided into two separate living quarters. The addition to the back may also have been added at this time.

In 1879 Thomas Wilson and his family emigrated to Pennsylvania and lots 1 and 2 in block 91 were sold to Samuel and Phoebe Harris for $800.

Samuel Harris, a carpenter, and his family were living in Milton before purchasing 328/330 Sumner Ave. He and his wife, Phoebe, lived in one side of the house while their son, Thomas Talbot, and his family lived in the other. When Samuel and Phoebe died in 1889 and 1892 respectively, the property was willed to Thomas who was a dentist by profession and conducted his business from home. A side door was discovered at the west side of the semi (no. 328) which is thought to have been a separate entrance for his patients.
Thomas and Anna had 7 children between 1874 and 1890: Talbot; Ada; Samuel; Anna; Hubert; John and Thomas. Sadly, the five oldest passed away during their childhood, leaving John and Thomas. In 1892 Anna died and Thomas Sr later married Margaret Patton.

The house itself remained on Reynolds Street until 1915 when Tax Assessment Records indicate that lot 1 was now vacant of any buildings. It was then that it was moved backwards and swung around to face onto Sumner Ave, solely being on lot 2. This move is reflected on the 1910 and 1924 Fire Insurance Plans where, in 1910, the house is shown to be on Reynolds St., while in 1924 it is on Sumner Ave.

On 25 April 1923 Thomas Harris sold the north half of lot 1 to Arthur and Florence Gibson who built a house on the property facing Reynolds. Thomas died the same year on December 23rd and all property was transferred to his wife Margaret. When Margaret died in 1936, Lot 2, where 328/330 Sumner Ave stands, was sold in 1942 by her executors. The south part of Lot 1 was held by son Thomas Harris, where he built a house which was eventually sold in 1944.
Recently, the new owners of the house have gutted and restored the inside, leaving beams exposed to reflect its old bones, just in case William Wilson should pay a visit to admire his handiwork.

Somewhere in the house is hidden a time capsule with a few items reflecting our world today, among them a bottle of "99 Wayne Gretzky Whisky" and a request to toast the Leafs on the present homeowner’s behalf if they should ever win a Stanley Cup as it isn’t likely to happen in their lifetime!
Click to Enlarge
330 Sumner Avenue330 Sumner Avenue
330 Sumner Avenue Plaque330 Sumner Avenue Plaque
330 Sumner Avenue - 1980330 Sumner Avenue - 1980
Before Recent RenovationsBefore Recent Renovations
During Recent RenovationsDuring Recent Renovations
Oak Pins,  aka Treenails,  Used To Hold The Post & Beam ConstructionOak Pins, aka Treenails, Used To Hold The Post & Beam Construction
The Completed RenovationThe Completed Renovation
William WilsonWilliam Wilson