Plaqued Houses and Buildings
154 Front Street - The Old Post Office
This building served as Oakville's first post office, 1835-1856
Property Details:
The Old Post Office, which was built in 1835, first stood at the southwest corner of Navy Street and Lakeshore Road (at the time it was Colborne Street) facing the Sixteen. It was built for William Chisholm as first postmaster although the duties of postmaster were handled by his son and assistant, Robert Kerr Chisholm.

It served as the post office until 1856 after which it was, at different times, a blacksmith shop, boat building shed, wood storage shed storage shed for Kendall's Tannery, welding shop and stable. A second storey was added in the late 1930s or early 1940s.

It was saved from destruction by Hazel Chisholm Mathews, founder of the Oakville Historical Society and author of Oakville and The Sixteen. It was moved to its present site which was owned by the Chisholm Family. In 1952 the property was deeded to the Town of Oakville and added to Lakeside Park. In the summer months it operates as part of the Town's museums.

Oakville's second post office was located on the north side of Lakeshore Road in the middle of the block between Thomas Street and George Street. The Lunau Block, built in 1922 is currently on that site. The third post office was the green-roofed stone building at the southeast corner of Lakeshore Road and George Street, now occupied by Tommy Bahama. The fourth post office was located at 193 Church Street.
Click to Enlarge
The Post Office todayThe Post Office today
Post Office plaquePost Office plaque
The Post  Office in its original location in1945The Post Office in its original location in1945
Delivering the Post Office to its current location in Lakeside ParkDelivering the Post Office to its current location in Lakeside Park
The Post Office  delivered successfullyThe Post Office delivered successfully