Plaqued Houses and Buildings
Address:
436 Allan Street - The Brown House
Summary:
The house was built in 1928, and owned by Arthur Brown, a mechanic.
Property Details:
436 Allan Street was first built in 1928, and owned by Arthur Brown, a mechanic.

Arthur Brown was born in Trafalgar Twp. in 1880 and grew up on the family farm with his parents and seven siblings. By 1901 the family had made their way into Oakville, living in a large house on the southeast corner of Brant St. and Lakeshore Rd. In 1910, Arthur Brown married Gladys Tyrell. They rented a place on Forsyth St. with their 7 children, until purchasing their house at 436 Allan St.

In 1928. Arthur's job as a mechanic carried the family through the depression, but unfortunately, they lost their house to foreclosure in May of 1939. The family remained in Oakville. Arthur passed away in 1956 and his wife Gladys passed away in 1961.

The house is constructed of very interesting decorative concrete block and, we believe, is the only example of this construction in Oakville. It is listed but not designated.
Click to Enlarge
436 Allan Street, 2020436 Allan Street, 2020
436 Allan Street Plaque436 Allan Street Plaque
436 Allan Street circa 1980436 Allan Street circa 1980
436 Allan Street House detail436 Allan Street House detail