Plaqued Houses and Buildings
54 Navy Street - Civic Park - Town Hall and Lock-Up
This land was set aside for public use by William Chisholm in the original plan for the town.
Property Details:
The Lock-up and Town Hall

An act to incorporate the Town of Oakville was assented to on May 27th, 1857. The first council members were:
Mayor: G.K. Chisholm, Farmer & Landowner
Ward 1:
R. K. Chisholm, Customs Agent & Postmaster
W. E. Hagaman, General Merchant

Ward 2:
W. R. Romain, Grain Merchant
P. A. MacDougald, Grain Merchant

Ward 3:
J. Reid, Grain Merchant
J. Barclay, General Merchant
J Potter, Joiner & Shipbuilder

The land for Market Square had been set aside in 1835 by William Chisholm for public use. The Lock-up/Town Hall was built on the north side of the square in 1859. The main floor served as a jail and as a quarantine for immigrants. Council Chambers were on the upper floor.

A similar structure, the Market Building was also built on this site in 1862. The lower floor consisted of stalls for butchers and farmers to sell meat & produce. The upper floor was devoted to an auditorium complete with piano and was used for entertaining up to 500 people.

In 1876, after the Lock-up burned down, the Market Building became known as town Hall and the lower floor was remodelled for Council Chambers and jail cells. In December 1913, the Town Hall also burnt to the ground.
The Lock-up and Town Hall were in the charge of George. J. Sumner (1834-1911), a respected and influential figure holding many official posts. His personal diaries are in the collection of the Oakville Historical Society and vividly describe the daily life of this time.
Click to Enlarge
Civic ParkCivic Park
Market SquareMarket Square
Market Squre plaqueMarket Squre plaque
Civic Park PlaqueCivic Park Plaque
Lock-Uo (at finger) and Town Hall from across Sixteen Mile CreekLock-Uo (at finger) and Town Hall from across Sixteen Mile Creek
Town Hall buildingTown Hall building
Town HallTown Hall