Plaqued Houses and Buildings
Address:
280 Lawson Street - Samuel Lawson House
Summary:
At one time, the most northerly house in town
Property Details:
It's likely that Samuel Lawson and his family were the first to settle so far north of the village proper, as no other houses existed between theirs and The Simpson House at Sheddon Street (now Freestone Lane) at the time (1837).

Wanting to build a house for his family but unable to finance the purchase of both land and a house, he obtained from William Chisholm title to park lot K, for which he was to pay when he could. He built a one-and-a-half storey house of hand-made brick (the first in Oakville) on the property, facing Trafalgar Road and surrounded by an apple orchard. Over time the street bordering the property on the north became known as Lawson Street.
Click to Enlarge
280 Lawson Street280 Lawson Street