Plaqued Houses and Buildings
Address:
43 Dunn Street - Marlatt House
Summary:
This house was built by Cecil Gustavus Marlatt in 1888m as a Marlatt family home.
Property Details:
Cecil Gustavus Marlatt (1854-1928) who had this elaborate house built in the 1880s was the son of Stafford Dean Marlatt.

Stafford Marlatt, born in Grimsby in 1830, married one of the Triller daughters and became owner of much of the Triller farm to the west of Bronte.

Late in the 1880s, Stafford brought from Captain Felan his interest in the Tannery for his two sons. As the Marlatt and Armstrong Tannery, it became welll known for the making of patent leather and was by far the most important industry in town in the 1890s. The Tannery was on the west side of Sixteen Mile Creek. The Tannery failed in the mid twenties and the Marlatts lost the house and most of the furnishings. In 1938 the house became a funeral home owned and operated by S. S. Russell. In 1976 it became a private dwelling again.

Life at the Marlatt home is vividly described by Mary Marlatt Oliver in "Oakville a Small Town", by Frances Robin Ahern. In the 1900 to 1930 period they were served by a cook, a housekeeper and two maids. The grounds at the turn of the century covered most of the block and included greenhouses, a tool house, root cellar, play house, two fish ponds, a summerhouse, cricket pitch and tennis court, as well as the couch house across the street.

Cecil Marlatt was the owner of the famous yacht, named "Aggie", after his first wife. The "Aggie" won more than eighty races for the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, of which Marlatt was from time to time Commodore, Vice-Commodore and Rear-Commodore. The "Aggie" ended her days when she missed the entrance to the Burlington Cut and ran aground on the beach. Her mast was recovered and is now the mainmast of the schooner "Anitra".
Click to Enlarge
Image 
Image 
Image 
Image 
Image