Plaqued Houses and Buildings
Address:
148 William Street - Anderson House
Summary:
Built around 1860 and first occupied by Edward Anderson and his family.
Property Details:
The lot on which the house at 148 William Street stands was purchased by mariner Edward Anderson in January of 1834. He and his family resided in the house until his untimely death in 1840. In 1841, while still under the ownership of the Anderson family, it is believed that the house was occupied for a time by Father Eugene McDonnell of St. Andrew's Parish. A page written in 1890 in the St. Andrew's archival record states that the Priest "resided here in a house opposite the present residence of George J. Sumner, near the Town Hall". At that time, it is the only house which would have been opposite the Sumner Residence located at 145 William St.

In 1851 at the age of 14, Edward Anderson's son and only heir is shown to be living in the town of Oakville with Peter Lyons and his family. The proximity of the neighbours on the census suggests that he was likely living in his late father's house with that family.

Edward Anderson Jr. was married c1855 and the family resided in the house. In 1869, his neighbour George Sumner put an addition on which was a lean-to shed that was drawn up from a neighbourhood building and affixed to the rear to create a large kitchen.

In 1876, the Andersons moved to Sarnia and rented the house out for a time until selling it in 1879 to Thomas Mulholland who in turn sold it to Thomas Howarth. Thomas Howarth owned a private bank in Oakville, was Secretary & Treasurer for the town and headed up the Oakville Citizens band. In 1902, when his bank failed, he took his own life. Howarth's widow Mary lived in the house until selling it in 1913 to William Laing who in turn sold it to William Sinclair Davis, a local entrepreneur and realtor, in 1915. Being a staunch adherent of St. Jude's Church, he immediately gifted the house and land to the church to serve as the sexton's residence. St. Jude's continues to own the property to this day.

Built in the Gothic Revival Style, its simple lines of gables and round-headed windows make it a pleasing example of houses built in this period.
Click to Enlarge
148 William Street, 2020148 William Street, 2020
148 William Street, Plaque148 William Street, Plaque
148 William Street c. 2002148 William Street c. 2002
148 William Street, 2002148 William Street, 2002
148 William Street, 1991148 William Street, 1991
148 William Street, 1960148 William Street, 1960
Edward. B. Anderson - Original OwnerEdward. B. Anderson - Original Owner
W. S. Davis, 1910W. S. Davis, 1910