Plaqued Houses and Buildings
Address:
207 Reynolds Street - The James Freestone house
Summary:
A number of Freestone brothers lived in this immediate area
Property Details:
James, George, Robert and John Freestone were four of the seven children of Mary and John Freestone, a plasterer from Northamptonshire, and they all settled in this area.

The home has been designated a heritage building by Town of Oakville
James, the eldest, was a bricklayer and bought the corner not in 1877 from R.K. Chisholm for $200. A year later he bought another parcel to the north. About 1885 he moved to Toronto to work in his trade. After marrying Elizabeth Ann Wake of Oakville he built their first home near Casa Loma. In 1887 he sold the north lot to his brother George and houses were built on both lots that year.

Another brother, John, lived in the Melancthon Simpson house at 230 Trafalgar Road (the northeast corner of Trafalgar Road and Freestone Lane) until he built the house at the northwest corner of Freestone Lane and Reynolds Street. A fourth brother, Robert, lived at 153 Reynolds Street. That house was torn down a few years ago.

The L-shaped corner brick house has had only four owners since it was built. It is a typical Ontario farmhouse although it shows no evidence of the usual verandah.
Click to Enlarge
207 Freestone Street207 Freestone Street
207 Reynolds Street circa 1989207 Reynolds Street circa 1989