Plaqued Houses and Buildings
Address:
123 Douglas Avenue - Dymock House
Summary:
Built in 1915, 123 Douglas Avenue was owned by Alexander Dymock (1877-1963), a butcher, until 1927.
Property Details:
123 Douglas Street was constructed in 1915, and belonged to Alexander Dymock, a butcher.

Alexander Dymock (1877-1963) was born in Alexandria, Scotland just outside Glasgow on March 30, 1877. He emigrated to Canada in 1907 and on October 22 1913, married Margaret Ferguson (?-1970) of Toronto.

A few months prior to their wedding, Alexander purchased the lot at 123 Douglas Ave from Walter Ecclestone, who held several lots in the newly established subdivision of the Brantwood Survey. This house was one of the few constructed in the survey at the time, as the First World War was already under way and manpower and building materials were becoming scarce.

Alexander and his wife likely lived in rented premises in Oakville until their house was built. They had two children by 1921; Betty, age 6 and Alexander, age 4. In 1927 they sold to David Kerr, a police constable, but remained in Oakville.

By the time of their marriage, Alexander had already established his butcher shop with partner George Leslie. It was located on the north side of Lakeshore Road just east of the current Paradiso Restaurant in premises that had been occupied by the Oakville News.

Sadly, his partner George Leslie died in 1927 of meningitis at the age of 41, leaving a wife and young family. It would also have been a blow to their business. Alexander was able to continue to run the shop though, until retiring about 1950.

He passed away on August 19, 1963 at the age of 86 and is buried at St. Jude's cemetery along with his wife, Margaret Ferguson Dymock, who died in 1970 at the age of 88.
Click to Enlarge
123 Douglas Avenue, 2020123 Douglas Avenue, 2020
Douglas Avenue #123Douglas Avenue #123
Douglas Avenue, 1910sDouglas Avenue, 1910s
Dymock & Leslie Butcher Shop located in the Oakville News BuildingDymock & Leslie Butcher Shop located in the Oakville News Building
David Kerr, 1943David Kerr, 1943